Yesterday’s Government announcement set out its ambition for a better environment and cleaner air.
Here are the top 5 things you need to know:
- Clean air is a top priority. The Government has pledged to be the first generation to leave the environment in a better state than it inherited it. Air quality in the UK has been improving significantly in recent decades but a small number of areas still breach legal pollution limits. The announcement is focused on delivering nitrogen dioxide (NO2) compliance at the roadside in the shortest amount of time.
- The Government aim is for all new sales of conventional petrol and diesel cars and vans to end by 2040. Today, more than 100,000 ULEVs are on the road. But ultra-low emission and zero emission vehicles will become even more prominent in the years to come.
- £600m has been committed out to 2020 to support the Government’s long term aim. The plug in car grant provides up to £4,500 towards the upfront cost of an EV and the Government has invested more than £100 million to improve charging infrastructure.
- £50m will be invested in a Plug-in Taxi programme. This means even more people can experience the many benefits of electric cars.
- £255m will be made available to local authorities to deliver improvements in air quality, including Clean Air Zones. £40m of this is being made available immediately – this means that, even if you don’t notice it, work is already under way to improve the air you breathe.
The future is green, and the future is electric. But you don’t need to wait until then – choose your electric car today by using our car selector. Drive the future today.